Crete, September 2016
The Minoan palace complex at Knossos, certainly one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world, was (re)built in 1500-1450 BCE.
The palace of Knossos, just south of Heraklion, was built on a hilltop but spills down over the sides.
The West Court was perhaps a market or a gathering place.
The West Court
showing their decoration
The west magazines, or storerooms
Olive trees on the hills east of Knossos
View toward the northeast
A beautiful staircase leads ... nowhere.
In the Central Court, people are lined up to view the throne room.
American tourist in Knossos
Dolphin fresco in the Queen's Megaron (great hall)
Knossos is surrounded on the sides by a pine forest.
Looking toward Evans's over-restored Charging-Bull Fresco
The throne, in the throne room -- where else?
The throne room may have also been a kind of shrine.
Griffin (a chimera between a lion and an eagle) on the wall of the throne room
Looking up toward the southwest and the floor above the throne room
Lovely columns reduced to stumps
Looking back up past the charging-bull fresco
Knossos was built over a number of levels.
Beautiful stairway near the north entrance
The Royal Road